

Mariya Hurwitz:

All right, good evening. This is Mariya Hurwitz. This is the monthly meeting of the Sherman Library Association Board of Trustees. Today is Monday, May 10th, 2021, and it is 5:36 P.M. I'm calling the meeting to order at 5:36 P.M. Laura?

Laura Jagodzinski:

Ah, for me. Okey dokey. To start off, thank you. This is Laura Jagodzinski [inaudible 00:00:32]. May I have two volunteers to review the minutes of today's meeting? Thank you, Dee and Barb.

Dee Ratterree:

[inaudible 00:00:40] and Barb.

Laura Jagodzinski:

All right. I motion to approve the minutes from the April 19th meeting [crosstalk 00:00:50]. Do I have a second [crosstalk 00:00:53]? All in favor? [crosstalk 00:00:56]. John, I can't see... And Dee? That's an all-approved. Thank you. Back to you, Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. Ashley, we're going to head into executive session for discussing trustee vacancies and personnel. I'll have you join us when we're done with the trustee vacancies, if you want to send us to a room.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:00:00] Now. Okay thanks this is Mariya Hurwitz again of Sherman Library Board of Trustees returning from executive session. It is 6:03pm, I have one item that I would like to make a motion for a vote. I would like to make a motion that we vote to approve funding for our current part-time bookkeeper for an entire fiscal year for 2021/2022. So July 2021 through June 2022 at a cost of approximately \$2500 for the year. This would be revisited annually at the time of the budget preparation and vote. Is there any discussion before we take a vote?

Speaker 5:

[00:00:52] Second the motion.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:00:58] All right all in favor?

Speaker 7:

[00:01:01] Aye.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:01:04] It's all approved.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:01:06] All right great. Thank you. Ashleigh, if you're ready I'm going to turn it over to you for the executive director's quorum.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:01:20] So, you all received the report from April. It details our programming which is still going along robustly with children's and adult's both attended well. We started in with Great Decisions that is back in session that will run through November so that is of note on our programs. Our annual budget update was approved to be sent to referendum. since this report there was a referendum the town vote passed. The board of education budget did not. I spoke with don to ask him on how it impacts us as far since were part of the town budget and he said that it will not that if they go back in whatever capacity, they do they are not looking to carve into the municipal town portion of it. So, it does not affect our funding which is good. The website they are a couple of additions. Staffing and highlights, what we discussed about the children's services coordinator property, we had the front steps in the lower patio repaired as projected and those turned out great. Are then any questions about the report?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:02:43] No? Okay. Stats... I am sorry, I sent out the stats and it had the totals nipped off it, so I just re-sent it to you, and you can see the totals now. Circulation is fully ticking up, obviously we are now open in May so we will see that circulation increase greatly. Because people can browse in person. Everything else is pretty much standard. Programs are doing well and that is about it. Are there any questions about the stats?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:03:20] No? Okay looks good.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:03:24] All right thank you Ashleigh. And Laura, secretary's report.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:03:29] Thank you Mariya this is Laura Jagodzinski, I will cover the policy and the procedures. Under old business, I just wanted to mention that we have identified an opportunity to create a privacy policy. Or as a separate policy, we've incorporated into the confidentiality policy but that is something that is going to need to be a work in progress. Also, I am still working on clarifying the procedures for the committee on Notices, Agenda and minutes. And I am still targeting that for a June or July board approval. Any questions?

Speaker 5:

[00:04:15] Nope.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:04:15] All right then back to you Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:04:17] All right and I'm going to pass it over to Henry for the treasurers report.

Elly Bockley:

[00:04:26] You're muted Henry.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:04:27] I see it there now. The total revenue is up 6.6% mostly due to the grants. Glad to see membership income is up 14% and total net ordinary income was at \$77,000. Our total expenses were down \$17,000 and our assets are up, mostly due to the increase. The total assets on the balance sheet are mostly due to the increase in the investment account balance from prior year. And so those are the highlights from the treasurer's report.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:05:09] Any questions for Henry? All right we're going to move over to the committee reports then, and Henry it is, you have the next two, investment and nominating.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:05:23] [00:05:23] Right, so the investment committee's report is pleased to share that at the end of April our balance is now \$1,128,199 that was \$42,000 from the end of March at 3.9% and Ashleigh was nice enough to share with me the numbers as of today. The close of business today our numbers are now \$1,152,542. Calendar year income, that's calendar year not fiscal year, is at \$12,180. If you prorate that we're on pace for \$36,000 in yearly income and our calendar year increase on the portfolio is up 12%.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:06:29] That's the highest our investment account has been, right?

Henry Cooperman:

[00:06:32] That is the highest the investment account has been.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:06:35] Wow.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:06:38] The market continues to do well, we really have a well-balanced portfolio of investment products, so the committee has done a very good job being fiduciaries for the library funds.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:06:56] Thanks Henry that is great. I think we are going to stick with you although you may not have everything for the...

Henry Cooperman:

[00:07:06] The nominating committee has nothing to report at this time.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:07:09] Okay. All right, thank you and John, Membership Committee. You're on mute.

John Ehrenreich:

[00:07:23] We met with everybody there except for Dee who's off gallivanting around in new Orleans. And we approved the final version of the membership envelope with only one little minor change letting people remain anonymous if they wish to. We made some minor changes to the wording of the Thank You letter for the organizational donors and we worked on a letter to be sent to new library's [inaudible 00:07:56]

Speaker 7:

[00:07:58] Sorry.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:07:58] That's okay.

John Ehrenreich:

[00:08:00] We worked on a letter to be sent to new library users and new town residents. We drafted such a letter which is pretty much complete at this point which we sent off to Ashleigh for processing. And the other thing on our agenda was discussion of new membership management software which we deferred till next time around.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:08:25] Okay. Thank you and if no questions for John, then we will pass it over to Irit for Fundraising Committee update.

Irit Granger:

[00:08:36] Okay well with the remaining fiscal year fundraising over the remaining calendar year all set for our fundraising events the committee is now focused on our next event which is the July 12 golf outing. We have done quite a bit in terms of trying to get the message out Ashleigh created a flyer which has a QR code to make it easy for people. And thanks to Sotheby's I printed quite a few of those on their machine. And Dee and Barb were fantastic and hung them lots of places. I think Henry did too. We also prepared a press release which was sent out to the local papers. Ashleigh also created an ad which will appear in the Tribune and the Sentinel this month and next. But as of today, we only have four board members that have committed to sponsorships and we are looking for 100% participation.

Speaker 9:

[00:09:38] I will do it tomorrow.

Irit Granger:

[00:09:39] And just remember everybody, it's not enough to just say you will, you actually have to just go on the website. That's the beauty of what Ashleigh helped to create on the website. The golf outing has its own page with information...

Henry Cooperman:

[00:09:54] Irit, can I just jump in and say it was so easy to do. I was able to do it on my phone because of course I tried to do it from my work computer, but I get blocked from our spyware, but I was able to do it on my phone and it was easy. Great job.

Irit Granger:

[00:10:14] It was very easy. I did it too and it was surprisingly easy. And its possible, by the way everybody, you can take a link from the website that links directly to the golf outing page to make it easy for them to buy a sponsorship which I have done with a couple of people. I hope you are all doing the same and Ashleigh, by the way, I nudged Lisa today to nudge Ben, but I would like to turn it over to Lauren because she has all the nitty gritty details and what our next steps are. Our next meeting on the golf outing is later in the month.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:10:49] I am Lauren Kenney. We really need everybody, and I know a lot of people say they don't know any golfers but maybe if you don't play golf, that is the reason why you think you don't know any golfers. You've got to talk to all your friends. Ask if they know any golfers to sign up to play. And Al is on a men's league at Quaker Hill Country Club which starts tomorrow. So, he can announce it to all the golfers there. We put a press release...

Irit Granger:

[00:11:28] Lauren, would you like to bring some flyers there with the QR code for Al to bring with him.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:11:33] He will [inaudible 00:11:35] bring them tomorrow.

Irit Granger:

[00:11:36] Perfect perfect

Lauren Kenney:

[00:11:38] And you know he's hopeful that's where most of the players will come from. Quaker Hill County Club has a newsletter they send out once a month, so we gave them a press release to put in the next one which gets sent out to all the members about it. We stopped by, we're trying to get more auction donations for auction at the end of the dinner. That's an easy way to make a bit amount of money because people will pay like 2, 3, \$400 for a foursome at a golf club and another golf club. So far we have River Oaks. We'll have Quaker Hill. We have two at Hollow Brook where the event is taking place. We stopped by Bull's Bridge yesterday to ask them. They said they would but we have to ask a member to ask them, a member has to request the donation so if anyone knows anyone who's a member of Bull's Bridge. We don't.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:12:49] No? Okay. If anyone hears of anyone that knows a member or any other golf course... I haven't reached out to people I know who belong to other golf courses in the area. So we'll try to get donations from them. That's all profit so that would be good. Elly? Is Elly...

Elly Bockley:

[00:13:14] Yeah.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:13:15] Have you reached out to your neighbor?

Elly Bockley:

[00:13:18] I did reach out and he asked me to give him a little bit of time. I guess he has to do a whole bunch of things, whatever, and then his daughter just graduated from college so they haven't been around. So I'll send him a message after this meeting and ask him because he said could he bring a car there and I'm like yes.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:13:43] Yes that's what I want them to say.

Elly Bockley:

[00:13:46] As many as you want.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:13:47] Yeah that's what attracts the attention. That's what happened last time. Okay keep us up to date on that.

Elly Bockley:

[00:13:57] I will.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:13:58] So, we need volunteers for the day of the event. I think I explained last time we need two people to take shifts that are like 12:30 to 2:30 or 3 and two people to take a shift that's about 2:30 to 4:30 or 5 and one other person to help me to track everybody in starting at 11.

?:

[00:14:26] I'll be there for the day so however you want to use me, use me.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:14:30] Okay, great.

Irit Granger:

[00:14:31] And also Lauren, I forgot to mention to you, I spoke with Mariya and she's very happy to make a little introduction and chat at the dinner.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:14:39] Okay, great or if you want Al to do it, he's happy to because he'll know everyone, whatever, we'll discuss that.

Irit Granger:

[00:14:46] Okay.

Elly Bockley:

[00:14:49] I'll volunteer for the later shift.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:14:52] Okay one of the later shifts and Barb? Barb we can't hear you.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:15:08] I said I can help at 11:00 but if I'm playing in the tournament then I would have to leave whenever that starts. It starts at noon, right?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:15:18] Yeah. Okay. That's great. So I'll count you to help me check people in. That would be good.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:15:24] Okay.

Elly Bockley:

[00:15:25] Thank you.

Irit Granger:

[00:15:27] Could you take... if you are short of volunteers could someone that was not on the board help out?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:15:33] Absolutely, actually I was going to say that. If you want to bring a friend to keep you company...

Irit Granger:

[00:15:39] I'll bring a friend. I'll bring a friend.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:15:40] Okay.

Irit Granger:

[00:15:40] I'll bring my plus one.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:15:42] That's great. All right.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:15:44] I believe my daughter will be in camp during that time. If all goes well, she will be there so I can fill in whatever time slot doesn't fill up, so I won't sign up a spot. Just put me where you need me and I could manage that.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:16:07] That would be great thank you.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:16:10] You're welcome.

Elly Bockley:

[00:16:12] Laura you're not going? You're muted can't hear you. Laura?

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:16:23] I'll get in touch with Lauren and see what I can do to help out.

Elly Bockley:

[00:16:26] Okay.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:16:28] So, Barbra, Laura who else was it?

Irit Granger:

[00:16:35] Oh I said I would at a later [crosstalk 00:16:37]

Lauren Kenney:

[00:16:37] Irit okay. Great. Thank you, so we'll see if that's enough.

Irit Granger:

[00:16:44] But you have to tell us what to do.

Elly Bockley:

[00:16:45] Of course.

Irit Granger:

[00:16:48] I wouldn't have a clue.

Speaker 5:

[00:16:50] And if we're supposed to wear something in particular or just...

Elly Bockley:

[00:16:53] No.

Speaker 20:

[00:16:54] No? Okay.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:16:55] Whatever you want [inaudible 00:16:58]. You know, whatever. Casual.

Mariya Hurwitz:



[00:17:01] I might be able to bring a friend too.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:17:03] Okay. That's great thank you.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:17:07] There's three of us... That we have a threesome right now. If you should happen to get, I guess I'd say, a straight female golfer...

Elly Bockley:

[00:17:17] Okay...

Barbara Ireland:

[00:17:18]... To play you could probably put that person in with us.

Elly Bockley:

[00:17:21] Okay.

Irit Granger:

[00:17:22] I know someone I could ask. How good are you Barb?

Barbara Ireland:

[00:17:27] I'm not horrible but I'm not terrific either. Why?

Irit Granger:

[00:17:34] She's a little horrible. But not that horrible.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:17:38] All right, I was going to suggest that we wait and hold off until another month or so, because I'm working on several other people to see if they could be the fourth and if there's anybody else that's interested in doing another foursome.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:17:51] All right I'll let you know. I know there are people on the list that played last year like Renee Collins and...

Barbara Ireland:

[00:18:00] I had talked to Lori Fink about it, and she said that she'd think about it. She said her problem is that when she goes to these things, and she does quite a few, she always gets her own foursome, but she likes to work in the morning until at least noon, and she's working from home right now and she said what's throwing her off is the fact that she'd have to drive an hour.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:18:26] Right

Barbara Ireland:

[00:18:27] Okay? Because then she doesn't feel like she can... she'd have to take the whole day and she's not sure if she could do that yet.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:18:33] Okay.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:18:34] Okay?

Speaker 25:

[00:18:35] Lauren, regarding the people that came last year, are you and Al... Or do you need help calling them directly and...

Lauren Kenney:

[00:18:42] Well, we can call them. I think Ashleigh did send them all emails right?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:18:47] I have not yet. I can send them an email of the flyer tomorrow.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:18:49] Okay, that'll be good. You have the list right?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:18:49] Yes, you sent me the email with the attachments, and I believe I have it in the system even from the last time.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:18:59] Okay. And a lot of those people are members of Quaker Hill that Al's going to, actually, talk to, but not all of them.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:19:11] That's starting tomorrow, Lauren you said?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:19:13] Yeah. Tomorrow evening. We're hopeful on that.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:19:18] Lauren, where do we stand on tickets?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:19:23] Well actually I don't know if everyone is aware, we've only sold one foursome so far but I think [inaudible 00:19:32] Al's, of course, going to play but he didn't sign up yet either because he's getting his foursome together, so I think...

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:19:38] Okay.

Elly Bockley:

[00:19:40] Lauren, is the foursome you have Kelly Adams?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:19:50] Yes

Elly Bockley:

[00:19:51] Oh. Good okay that's my foursome.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:19:53] What is [inaudible 00:19:55] Ashleigh set up a Google [inaudible 00:19:58] that everyone could access to see who signed up for everything, all right?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:20:03] Not everyone, I sent it to you Irit, because you're the chair for fundraising and you're the chair of this fundraising event.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:20:11] All right.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:20:13] We can check it anytime. We like to see how many people signed up.

Barbara Ireland:

00:20:13] It's a live document, so when they roll in, I add them and you can check it whenever you want, instead of me emailing you and saying hey we just sold another one.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:20:24] Right. That's good.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:20:25] Okay, and we will see quite a few people Wednesday that are playing golf. And I intend to ask most of them if they'll get a foursome okay?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:20:35] Okay, great thank you Barb.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:20:37] And the other person might be willing to do something is Dale Hogan. She's from Sherman and she now is president of the Victor Women's League.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:20:50] Oh

Barbara Ireland:

[00:20:50] I'll talk to dale and see if she will bring any people, okay?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:20:54] Yeah and announce it at one of her get-togethers. That would be great.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:20:59] I think that we could if they'd let us. I don't know if Victor would let us put up a flyer up there.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:21:06] They probably would actually we pas by there a lot and I was thinking we'll stop and ask them. But maybe she can if she's there all the time. Do you have some flyers to give her possibly?

Barbara Ireland:

[00:21:18] I'm picking up 8 tomorrow right or some more tomorrow. Irit?

Irit Granger:

[00:21:24] I forgot. I have three here... Yes I'll figure out a way. I have appointments tomorrow, but I'll figure out a way to get them to the library. Can I get them by the end of the day to the library, or does it have to be in the morning? When are you going to be in town?

Barbara Ireland:

[00:21:46][inaudible 00:21:46] I'll be there tomorrow, Ashleigh

Irit Granger:

[00:21:49] I have some copies, if you'd like to pick them up. We'll print it out, the flyer with the QR codes. If that makes it easier for you to read.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:21:58] Yeah, can you do that Ashleigh? Eight more barb needs?

Irit Granger:

[00:22:01] Sure.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:22:03] I can get the ones that Ashleigh has, probably one o'clock tomorrow? And then I don't know how late you're open tomorrow, or you'll be there Ashleigh tomorrow maybe, if they're really pressed we can get some more.

Irit Granger:

[00:22:18] Sure. Six o'clock.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:22:19] Well, don't wait that late for me.

Irit Granger:

[00:22:22] I'm there later.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:22:29] Okay.

Irit Granger:

[00:22:30] Ashleigh is there until six. And later.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:22:31] Has anyone reached out to Karen Pardillo?

Irit Granger:

[00:22:34] I was just going to ask.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:22:39] I thought initially somebody

Irit Granger:

[00:22:42] I did. I spoke with Karen and gave her an update of the events, and I sent her a link to the website, but I didn't get a confirmation that she was definitely going.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:22:58] Okay.

Irit Granger:

[00:22:58] I did share the information with her.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:01] Are we still, as a board, are we still going?

Irit Granger:

[00:23:06] Yes, I'll send around an email this week to get that, of course, we probably want to make sure she's going to be there too.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:13] Well yeah it's no use if she doesn't see it.

Irit Granger:

[00:23:17] Right. Right.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:18] Okay. We'll hope she signs up.

Irit Granger:

[00:23:25] Laura were you going to follow up with her again? Or you want me to?

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:30] Why don't you and I touch base later?

Irit Granger:

[00:23:33] Okay.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:33] Sounds good. Anything else on the golf?

Irit Granger:

[00:23:42] I think that's it for now.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:44] All right.

Irit Granger:

[00:23:44] I sent out emails to the golfers that I know.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:23:51] Okay good.

Irit Granger:

[00:23:51] And while we were chatting, we added a whole new sponsor among us. And you know who you are, and everybody else, please its only \$125, please participate.

Barbara Ireland:

[00:24:11] All right. Thank you.

Irit Granger:

[00:24:14] If we're good, I'm going to move on to the next item on the agenda which is unfinished business. First item is policies and procedures which is Laura.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:24:27] Thanks, Mariya, it's Laura J. There were several draft documents that were submitted for feedback about a week or so ago, and I'll just summarize them. Before we discuss and go to a vote, the first was the inclement weather and emergency closing policy, that was updated to accommodate building closing, related to health and safety advisories such as the pandemic, as well as, some style changes to fit our standard template that we put together last year.

Irit Granger:

[00:25:03] Laura?

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:25:03] Yeah

Irit Granger:

[00:25:05] I apologize to you and Ashleigh. I did not know this when I reviewed it, that we called it the Library Board of Directors instead of the Board of Trustees in the document, so it's a minor edit, but we probably want to change that to be consistent.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:25:20] Yes. Okay, I'll note that when I do the motion. On the confidentiality policy, the changes were mostly a clarification including detailing the state statutes on library confidentiality of records, as well as again, the organization style changes. And then the last document was the board email account procedures. These were updated to reflect the forwarding of complaints related to emails to the compliance officer. And management of the two email accounts we created for the president and secretary, and we also have a better understanding of the library email system and the system administration. So, the policies were updated to reflect that. Are there any questions on the policies or the procedures? Any discussion? Okay. Given that if there's no further discussion then I move to approve the inclement weather emergency closing policy with the change to correct board of directors to trustees, the confidentiality, and the board email account procedures. Barb seconded.

Irit Granger:

[00:26:57] Yes.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:26:58] Thank you. All in favor? That's all approved thank you very much. The final policies will be posted on the website and the email account procedures will be sent to the president and compliance officer, and executive director, and back to you Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:27:24] Okay, thank you, Mariya Hurwitz. And the next item is the strategic plan and just getting... first of all any discussion on the timelines? Any questions people have? We can do that and then I will go

through each of the teams just to get an update on any successes or accomplishments that were identified, but first does anybody have any questions on the timeline. I know I sent a couple emails clarifying some things. Just want to make sure everybody's good with what obviously, what today we're going to be talking about and then for June and July. Okay. All right so I just listed them out, if it's all right, I'll start with technology, if I can just get... And Laura happens to be the lead for the technology team, if just each team lead could just highlight any of the accomplishments so that we know what our baseline is, where we're starting from each objective. Laura goes ahead.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:28:42] I'm just making sure I'm not muted. Thanks, Mariya. It's Laura Jagodzinski and there are several technology projects that were completed I'll start with the most recent. We created the new website with enhanced features and expanded the digital offerings. Ashleigh reviewed those in detail with us last month. We purchased Zoom licenses for email programming, we upgraded all the computers and the operating system software and office automation software. We installed monitor stands which hide all the wires that connect to the computers, and the other value to that is that it makes up the take down and set up when we have events, and we must take the machines down and put them away and put them back up again. It makes it a lot more convenient.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:29:43] And the other item that we completed was we installed something called network \* storage which \* and that allows us to backup all of our library files to a separate storage area that's located within the building. So those are the completed projects. Some of those are maybe, operational in nature and some of them contribute more to the KPIs, as far as active projects, as John mentioned before, we're defining the feature and function requirements for the new donor management system. And last year Ashleigh and I had started discussions of upgrading the network switch which would, once that's upgraded, that would enable us to provide guest wireless printing, and the other item that we talked about was engaging a service to store the library files offsite for disaster recovery purposes. So those are what we've completed and what's in progress. The team will be meeting next week, and we'll be discussing those active projects. They'll be incorporated into our strategic planning meeting next week where we'll finalize the projects in the timeframe. Any questions? Feedback?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:31:27] Sounds like you've done a lot.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:31:29] A lot was done in the last two years. It's pretty amazing.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:31:35] So the switch thing Laura if I came in my phone and I had a document that I wanted to print off of my phone that's super cool.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:31:42] Yeah. But we can't do it today so we have to upgrade our network switch which is coming up to capacity anyways so it would be a matter configuring that to do

Speaker 9:



[00:31:58] Laura, do we have air printers?

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:32:00] That's what we're talking about doing.

Speaker 9:

[00:32:03] Oh we have to get them. We don't have them.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:32:07] We need the capability and then equipment. Ro?

Ro D'Ostilio:

[00:32:14] So is there a way to monitor they need a passcode or something to be able to do that right? Not just anyone can come in and freely print whatever they want on our printer and that's it they're done.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:32:25] Yeah we haven't looked at any of the configuration setup for controlling that.

Ro D'Ostilio:

[00:32:30] You haven't gotten the equipment yet.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:32:33] No. [crosstalk 00:32:37]... When we were upgrading the hardware, we realized that there was an opportunity to upgrade the network switch as well, but we weren't in a position to do that at the time, with everything else that was going on. And as we started researching that a little bit more, we realized it gave us the capability to do a couple of things, one is the guest wireless printing, the other right now, the wireless network. Everybody is on the same wireless network but with an upgraded switch, we could segregate the employee wireless network from the guest wireless network.

Ro D'Ostilio:

[00:33:18] Thank you.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:33:18] Sure thing. Anything else? All right back to you Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:33:25] All right thanks. I had next on the list the collaboration engagement and programming team update which has John as the lead.

John Ehrenreich:

[00:33:34] Okay once again, there has been a lot done although the pandemic has interrupted it seriously. Ashleigh has been aggressive in expanding programming and in expanding connections to various community groups in town, departments and so forth. In terms of programming with the adult

programming, for example, we went from between 5 and 8 programs a month in 2018, and then in the beginning of 2019 until early 2020, 12 to 23 programs per month. So, it's really a tripling the number of programs. Then came the pandemic and now we're back down to the level we were before the pandemic. The number of programs, specific programs, have been added and contacts with various community organizations. Ashleigh is going to be sending me an update on children's programs and what's happened in that area. The team is going to meet on the 18th, and we'll be going over this and trying to figure out where we go from there.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:34:53] Great. All right thanks John. Lauren, you have anything?

Lauren Kenney:

[00:34:59] Right just to comment, I think one if the things that would be helpful in addition to looking at the metrics just to capture not just the volume of increased programs, but the kinds of additional programs that we've added, so I know ones that come to mind even though we've had to suspend them, but we added the cookbook club, we added the mahjong club, there's a variety if we look at the kinds of programmings. I think there would be some value in us capturing that, not just the metrics.

John Ehrenreich:

[inaudible 00:35:46] Ashleigh, in addition to getting me the information on the children's programs, you had given me the various programs that have been added since 2019. But if we could develop a master list of the various programs we have so that we could assess within that framework, that would be very useful.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:36:09] Sounds good. Yes, I did note to John, five programs that have been added and additionally writer's group and classic book club that specifically are related to literary, and library items as well, and those were patron-driven requests so that it's a double fold. It's adding a program and satisfying patrons at the same time, something that they really wanted and helped to frame.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:36:35] Does it just count as a program if its recurring in nature cause you have so many speakers and do a one time thing. How do we capture that?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:36:47] The number that John has, some of those are reoccurring so some happen weekly like mahjong did and soffit yoga did. And those are both... Have been put on hold due to COVID. Other programs happen monthly, so yes they are one-offs that are special events. And then there are ones that are reoccurring, so they can be broken into different categories and I can certainly track them anyway. They're in the directors report but I can put them into a spreadsheet, if that's easier for the team to look at to analyze the difference.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:37:26] Because my sense is there's so many more, even though they might be one-offs, we have so many cool programs coming through that we definitely want to highlight.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:37:37] Yeah the filler ones that have not, but the programs I've created more recently, having four more mahjongs is easier to set up than having four events with four different speakers, and four different graphics packages and registrations, and things like that. And there's been a lot more of that really deep programming that is extensive and interesting versus the recurring, which is good too. They both need to be there and they're very helpful to interact so I can definitely get more granular information on that month to month.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:38:15] I'm happy to work with you in pulling that together if you want.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:38:18] Okay

John Ehrenreich:

[00:38:20] And the children's programs also [crosstalk 00:38:22].

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:38:22] Yes, I can tell you I took a look at it John. Those children's programs have stayed like numbers, how many and how, the content has stayed flat but that being said that's during COVID so this was pre COVID so when Cheryl stepped in, she had two or three months before COVID hit. So, she's maintained during it, which is great. So, but I can get those numbers to you, but it's been the transition from Chris to Cheryl, is kind of a delineation mark as far as a difference in approach and things like that.

John Ehrenreich:

[00:38:59] I think that the just picking up what others have already said that if there's a way of doing it, whether its in a spreadsheet or just a list of what's recurring and what's one-off, with a categorization and including the child versus adult, would give us a better sense of what might be missing or where there might be areas that are promising and so forth.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:39:24] And to make it a little more complex, adult programs like mahjong would just consistently happen every month at certain times as book discussion. But with children's zoom game club would happen for four dates and there would be a little gap and then there will be four more dates. So, in the children's programming you get chunks too. Its just a framing of it so that I can add that too. That's a different view also.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:39:53] Any other questions, comments on the programming? Okay, Lauren? Okay I have you for communication next.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:40:07] I'm Lauren Kenney. We have expanded by a lot I don't know what percentage if anyone would. With communication with patrons and the community at large by all the e-newsletters that Ashleigh sends out once or twice a week for adult programs, children's programs, new booklets,

announcement on whatever, everything on our new website, library's reopening that kind of stuff and of course our beautiful new website which hopefully a lot more people look at than our old website. I don't know if we track that or not, do we?

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:41:00] Track what aspect, well we have in our stats, hits on our website. I think going forward in the new fiscal year I'd like to start tracking digital resources as well because we have a general number, but breaking it down a little further so we can see oh people are accessing the newspapers the magazines [inaudible 00:41:19] what that looks like and now were about to add recorded programs to the website too so that will be another tracking of how many people view those and in addition

Lauren Kenney:

[00:41:30] All right. So we expanded by a lot all the communication with all the patrons and the community through social media, definitely has increased, Facebook, Instagram posts, press releases in the Tribute, Sherman Sentinel and the Spectrum on our whatever programs we're doing, flyers on our events throughout the library which... And signage outside the library.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:42:18] I love that signage. The one outside the library.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:42:24] Ashleigh and I were discussing a sign made or maybe possibly using the old one we had and revising it about the golf event to put there too.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:42:36] That would be great.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:42:37] Yeah because everybody sees that. It's a great spot.

Ashleigh Blake:

[00:42:41] Generally the sandwich board outside changes. When we were in the library would change for programs and things. It's been more consistent reminder of door side or now, open to patrons because we're not having onsite but it will evolve more onsite to reflect more of those things. But our directive right now is to make sure people know how they can access the library so that's why its been a little stationery for now, but obviously it will return to its previous functionality, once we get more normalized.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:43:17] And so the only people in the committee are Irit and Mariya so we haven't set up a meeting yet but we will soon.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:43:27] Am I on that committee? Oh wow. I didn't realize it.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:43:29] I have contacted you about it.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:43:36] Okay. And I know that KPI that and it doesn't mean you can't come up with additional KPIs or tweak your KPI, but right now I think what we had been communication through media would increase by 20% there got to be some way to track that if that's the KPI, we still want to use for communication.

Lauren Kenney:

[00:44:02] I would say its way more than 20%.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:44:04] Yeah, its at least double or more.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:44:09] But then we'll have a year later, we'll have... Is it reasonable to think that KPI, we can still go up year over year? By 20% so just something to think about when you guys come up with your plan.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay.

Mariya Hurwitz:

All right any questions for that group before the next one which I have is flexible space, Dee?

Dee Ratterree:

[00:44:43] We have not yet met as a committee although we have a May 24 date to solidify our major objectives however here are some things in the last year that have been accomplished. Completed or nearly completed, missed opportunities due to space limitations, we've held more than one program at a time we know that we have a lack of team space that works. We began to think about the maker space, and we took over the office that the children's library that had been using and moving the circ desk out into the public, so we have the space, but we don't have a maker. We have a new children's librarian to hire so that complicates things. The really big thing is options to reconfigure the space and since we haven't met to solidify that, but some suggestions are a door the adult section with glass doors, glass walls to separate the kids little kids and the adult section make the outdoor areas more inviting. The stacks section nonfiction maybe turns into cubicles. The configurations not meeting needs the barn acoustics suck. Computers are only designated to one space and we might be the conference room which has no projection capabilities or audio speaker should be upgraded. But also completed in the last year, the technology goals which somehow, I seemed to roll out.

Dee Ratterree:

[00:46:35] In discussion with Ashleigh, I learned that we're eligible and she is applying for an American recovery grant which is given to ameliorate the effects of COVID on businesses and institutions and some of the changes that she will be able to do will align with making the space flexible and modifying the space. The best news is that the library space is terrifically flexible in terms of COVID protocol. There are very high ceilings it has good air flow the HVAC people said do not modify because doing so would

ultimately cause much more harm than good requiring very expensive HVAC work that is unnecessary. Ashleigh also explored two possible actions open windows and doors to increase air flow and she was told again from the HVAC system people that the HVAC system we have in place would be wasted it would be doing double time. She also asked about stand-alone HEPA filters, and they said they don't work. We have a zoom meeting set for 4:30 on May 24 and we'll have more to report at that time.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:47:55] Very extensive.

Dee Ratterree:

[00:47:55] Dee Ratterree.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:47:55] All right thanks and I'm on this committee with you guys too and I will do my very best to try to get them to not schedule meeting at the same time as the one you set up but I was just thinking that we're all sick of zoom and were done with zoom but its very interesting how that does contribute to flexible space right? [crosstalk 00:48:22]... One program it was so something to think about. All right any questions for Dee?

Dee Ratterree:

[00:48:31] Please no. Wait. Wait til we meet.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:48:35] All right. Irit fundraising team please

Irit Granger:

[00:48:41] Well...

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:48:42] You already did a lot, but...

Irit Granger:

[00:48:45] Well, we too have not met yet, but we do have a date. We're meeting May 27 so and we'll be able to attack these objectives and strategies and check how we're doing. Just anecdotally what I've experienced since I've not been on the board long and was not at the strategic plan session you had, I do believe in making more direct contact with our donors. We started that at the beginning of the pandemic where we made some calls and that resulted in some additional donations and that along with the grants we got from the government helped us to exceed our fundraising goals for the year despite the fact that we're in this horrible pandemic.

Irit Granger:

[00:49:31] So, I think we got through that very well. Also, and john touched on this, we revised the thank-you letters, we're updating all the donor literature we are endeavoring to greet new members new residents by giving them special letter and some little gifts and that hopefully will result in a donor as well we came up with a new fundraising scheme this past year which was our golden ticket raffle

which proved very successful insomuch as it had minimal expense if almost nil and that all the profit we had which I believe was \$5000. What, more?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:50:21] It was at least \$10,000. I'd have to refresh my memory.

Irit Granger:

[00:50:25] I couldn't recall whatever it was, it was all free and clear so that was wonderful it didn't require too much extra work. The new website makes it much easier to donate now I think people going on there will experience a lot less frustration than they had in the past and that should certainly help. Ill have more for you after we meet. Is that okay?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:50:53] That's great.

Irit Granger:

[00:50:54] Signing off Irit Granger.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:50:58] Thanks Irit. Henry I have you as our team lead for the board strength committee.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:51:12] As we have previously spoken, we have a nominating committee that is myself, Elly and Jim Laviano, and we have one opening right now and we know we have three one other coming up in October and then three next year so were accumulating names and putting out feelers to the public of possible candidates.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:51:45] Okay. I think this from my perspective is one area where we can really just come up with some great ideas and try to make it more appealing, revisit the ideas of bringing back board members that maybe have been off for a little while I don't know why every time I approach somebody they say no I don't have time.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:52:14] I did the same with Rich Linehan who was an ad hoc member of our investment committee and was on the library board for many years and it's the same of group of people are around town that are involved in committees and organizations and I hate to use the word of retread but its a small population that we're going to people who would raise their hand and volunteer and I thank everybody on this board that does it.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:52:50] So, Henry, I'd like to add to a couple of things to what you mentioned to recognize the things that we've done on the board development side. So, you mentioned the nominating committee but we also created two other committees of the board of trustees. We created the fundraising committee and the membership committee to help us progress in those particular areas and both of those were created

with a charter to support them in terms of defining what the committee and the member responsibilities are.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:53:34] I would also recognize the things that we've done interns of education and awareness in terms of increasing the board's awareness of their responsibilities. We had the education commissioner from the freedom of information commission in Connecticut come and speak to us about FOYA. We had... Irit I know attended a workshop on fundraising that was presented by the pro bono partners and I also attended the FOIA presentation that the town committee held, and I will be attending a session tomorrow also by pro bono partnership for on how to run effective board meetings.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:54:38] We created the board agreement on so that all board members understand and annually acknowledge what their responsibilities are. We've created... Since on actually this is just since this last year or so, we created procedures for the board so that if there's a particular area we've documented the steps required to support a particular function so for example we have the board email account procedures that we just approved we created the compliance procedures to support the compliance officer and the code of conduct and the conflict of interest, the committee meeting and agenda procedures to make sure that we make sure that we are documenting and sending out notices and meeting those requirements. We created the programming stacks, audit procedures to make sure that the monthly statistics that were reporting on our programming attendees and programs that those are complete and accurate, and we had a period of time where we actually had a full complement of trustees on the board so that was from July of last year until December so one of the KPI's to be running at full maximum trustees which is 12 and we're currently at 11. And we've been running at 11 since December 2019 and then we went up to 12 in 2020 and then back down to 11 in 2021.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:56:39] That's great. Thanks Laura.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:56:43] I'd say I did a great job delegating a lot of stuff to Laura. Thank you Laura and I would have to say that I think when Laura and I and Lauren came on the board there might have been only 8.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:57:00] I'll tell you. In January through July we only had 10 trustees and we came out in 2016... I don't have the stats from 2016.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:57:17] But I'd like to everybody's done a great job in terms of trying to cultivate names and add people to our great team.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:57:32] Henry, I would actually say that you probably get the medal for the person that's recruited the most board members. You've got some sort of Midas touch there. I don't know what you're doing what you're...



Henry Cooperman:

[00:57:44] Well I appreciate that and Laura I would also like to say that we also have a new president that came aboard and she's doing a great job.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:57:55] Thank you. All right.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:58:00] Not to mention the job the secretary is doing. Oh my god.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:58:03] No one wants that job.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:58:05] Oh my god. Oh my god.

Henry Cooperman:

[00:58:06] Forget about that one.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:58:13] Yeah, it's going to be really hard to back fill you.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[00:58:19] All right so not to scare everybody but the role of the secretary is a lot smaller than a lot of the things that I'm doing. If you think about all of these procedures and policies that happens to be a skill set that I have. That's not the job of the secretary but its something that I know how to do and I've got the time to do it. And by the end of next year, we'll have all of this stuff done.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[00:58:45] So, updating [crosstalk 00:58:48]. All right well thank you both. Okay so the last one is the staff development team which is Ro D'Ostilio and me. And then Ashleigh of course is our adviser because she... It would be hard to accomplish much on staff development if we didn't have Ashleigh advising us on this so we haven't met as a team yet we'll coordinate something in the next week or so some of the items that are on the objective like the ideas were to look at staffing levels, look at the number of hours per week, maybe recruiting more volunteers, how we use our pages, how we use volunteers to cover, the idea that came up, interns, earlier on the call. These are all the types of things that the number of hours the library is open, these types of things so it's been a little bit of a rocky year I don't remember exactly when Cheryl started but we've had her, what, a year and half, Ashleigh, and now we're in the position of looking for somebody else so that's a little...

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:00:12] So she's started a year ago last December. So mid December of 2019.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:00:18] Yeah so, it'll be a year and a half by the time she backs off into her smaller role. So that's obviously been a challenge and the big challenge has been the pandemic and staffing and not being able to add staff or even think about adding staff during a time like this. These are things that would be impossible to do. But we will look forward to tackling. However, the good news is one of the other things that we have as a KPI for staff development was more professional development and taking classes and trainings and we have a minimum recommended two classes per year for the staff which did happen in 2020. However, executive director I think it was 14 professional development courses that she did either online or maybe phone or in person not various... so that's wonderful really good news with that so the other thing is... Oh I just wanted to talk so way down we have Ashleigh whose our only full-time employee, we have part time children's coordinator who biweekly averages about 52 hours a week, we have two part times circulations/other staff members who average 34 hours a week and then we have some pages who work a few hours a week it fluctuates.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[crosstalk 01:01:51]... Every two weeks.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:01:52] Every two weeks. Thank you and just wanting to look at that we've already talked about that when Cheryl leaves her current role, we're going to keep her on for six to eight hours a week and we're going to replace her with at least the number of hours that her current role has so we're looking at staffing in that way as well. So a lot of opportunity here I think probably our list of ideas will increase vastly over what we came up with at the retreat so we look forward to putting that together and presenting that list in June. Ashleigh did you have anything... oh I did want to mention also, Lauren helped me with this last year, we really formalized the objective setting and review process with the executive director and I know Ashleigh you did some formal reviewing and goal and objective setting with your staff as well which...

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:03:02] I created... There wasn't anything before so I created the documents and the followup process and actually I'm about to start in again tomorrow sending the self evaluations out to be completed by June 1 so that I can then complete my portion of it so that it can be done by the end of the fiscal year.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:03:20] We have to get started on the executive director as well.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:03:24] Yeah I think we want to make sure that we recognize, not that we measure the effort to get something done. We're focused on results, but this was a process with the forms the documentation input from the staff it was it's a robust appraisal and development process.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:03:49] Agreed. Okay, any questions or additional comments on staffing? Okay, I just want to say each of you the team leads and the team members but I think the team lead owns the document each of you got a word document from me were created by Laura but I sent them out to each of the teams.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:04:15] Can we just treat that as a living document? Update the section for the may meeting with the accomplishments if you didn't already. And we're just going to keep this as a living document. It may become 20 pages long at some point in time or maybe we update it annually but if we could just keep that because then we have the document that we can refer back to as a record. Laura did you have any more thoughts on that, I know you put those documents together?

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:04:49] If there's any feedback on how to make those documents easier to work with, please let me know. If we want to have one document to capture all of these things so that we can get a higher view across the entire library, I'm willing to take the individual documents that you updated with the accomplishments and ill put something together I try to do a one pager that could highlight all of the accomplishment through all of the teams. Something that you want to do

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:05:29] I think that would be a great thing especially as we get to the end of one fiscal year to be able to look at it that way.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:05:37] And the other thing that I will do is look together to put a dashboard so the look at the KPI's and do some charts and metrics so we can do year over year comparisons. Its easier with the programming statistics because I can take Ashleigh's monthly stats. And covert that into some graphs and charts. But I haven't had a chance to look at that yet.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:06:06] What have you been doing?

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:06:08] Sitting around.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:06:11] Nice. She knows. I tell her on a daily basis how much [inaudible 01:06:17].

John Ehrenreich:

[01:06:17] I have a question on the flow chart of meeting. So for the June meeting it says finalize listed projects inline with the whatever that area is. And for the July meeting, it says projects for July 2021 to 2022. What's the difference between those two?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:06:41] Oh, great question. So, we're having the opportunity for the June meeting for you guys to meet as a team and come up with what you really think our current goals should be in your area so what would be some great accomplishments big picture because the strategic plan covers us through 2025, right? So, what's your Wishlist through the end of 2025. Due for the July meeting is what did you pick to focus on for the coming fiscal year. Maybe you pick one of those items from your June list maybe you

pick one of them maybe you pick two of them it probably depends on the nature of what you chose, right? If you're doing a big initiative, then you would just pick one.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:07:29] Mariya, do you want me to walk you through an example?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:07:33] Do you have something?

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:07:36] Yeah, I do if you just give me a second. So, on the technology team, some of the things that were listed as ideas were headphones for workstations, upgrading the barn, wireless printing, adding some kind of AV in the conference room, all right? So, we may have... We'll look at that list and say, which one of those do we want to keep, we may add some so maybe we want to add 3-D printers. Sewing machine, [inaudible 01:08:44] machines, things to support maker rooms, those might be other items that we would like to see where technology could help the library so for the June meeting, we would just want to have the list. These are all of them. And then for the July meeting, we would say these are the things that we want to do this year so these years, we want to upgrade the donor software we want to put in wireless printing.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:09:30] So that's hugely helpful and I would say obviously if you had questions about whether your item has been budgeted for because it was already budgeted... I think we may have budgeted for one of those items you mentioned, Laura, the donor software, we may have included that in our upcoming fiscal year, but you may have an item that's going to require a board vote. Because you may want to invest some technology that's going to require that would need to pull one

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:10:00] Right, so if we wanted to put a speaker phone in the conference room that's not budgeted, we'd need to discuss that. If we wanted to put in the conference room a full complement of AV equipment that's not budgeted. Right? Those are just some examples of what I've been thinking about on the technology side. John does that help.

John Ehrenreich:

[01:10:26] Yeah.

Laura Jagodzinski:

[01:10:28] And the advice that I sent out to the tech team is to look at these projects and just for discussion purposes to think about if you want to do them now, sooner or later. Right? Because that helps me focus what could we actually do in one year vs and what would want to do second and what we would want to do third.

John Ehrenreich:

[01:10:55] Uh huh. Thank you.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:10:59] Any other questions, clarifications? All right. That's it for the strategic plan updates so Ashleigh, I have you next for a COVID-19 update.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:11:16] Sure. So, the library re-opened for patrons on May 4. We're open to patrons Tuesday through Saturday, noon to four right now. The staff is onsite during regular hours reachable via phone and email. Door side pickup is still available during regular hours, we have an overlap of patrons coming in and door side being offered. Right now the following safety protocols are in place, all people in the library must wear masks, patrons are asked to use hand sanitizer upon entry, patrons are asked to keep their visit to 30 minutes or less, high touched surfaces are cleaned hourly between noon and four, restrooms are not available to the public at this time, we ask patrons to exit through a separate door from entry, we ask patrons and staff to observe social distancing, we still quarantining for three days all library book and library materials, and our programs are all currently remote. I'll be attending a [inaudible 01:12:10] project, the study findings and what they mean webinar on May 18 and this webinar attendees will hear about and the [inaudible 01:12:17] that was accumulated over the past year as well as the project's current focus areas.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:12:24] I'm following Governor Lamont's information on expansion of openings on May 19. The library still needs to follow sector rules laid out by the state for libraries as well as library reopening process guidelines created by the state of Connecticut so as the state opens up it sounds great, but we still have special rules for the library that restricts certain things, that's why we clean hourly between those times because were asked to frequently clean. Our bathrooms are currently not open to patrons because those require frequent cleanings too and we don't have a full-time janitorial staff and I don't feel it is hygienic to ask staff members, office staff to clean bathrooms hourly. So that's why some of those restrictions are in place if the state eases up on those then we ease up on the rest and we can open to the patrons for more hours. Currently 12 to four is what we can manage with going down and letting people in, cleaning the surfaces, all of that. Any questions?

Elly Bockley:

[01:13:23] I have a question about... It's not a big thing. You mentioned about the bathrooms, they have to be cleaned after every time someone uses them? That doesn't even happen in restaurants.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:13:36] They say frequently. Frequently throughout the day. So, restaurants, if you go to big wine going to the restroom on the back of the door, there's a cleaning log and somebody comes in hourly cleans and checks it off, so they have full time janitorial staffs, there are some libraries that are municipal that have a janitor on duty who cleans throughout the day. We do not have that. We do not have that kind of staffing, so these are the adjustments we had to make right now. I have... It is notified on the website and in the social media that's gone out and the press releases and on the sign outside too so when the people come in, they can see right away that the restrooms aren't available, you have to wear your mask, there's signage all over the front of the building so its publicly displayed but that something that, yes, we look forward to easing up on.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:14:25] If there's somebody that there and they have an emergency, I certainly let them use the restroom and I personally go in and clean it afterwards. I can't deny somebody. I'm not cruel but if you can then please don't if the directive right now. So, we're kind of in a holding pattern I am in communication with other libraries too to see what they're doing. We are a different library from a Danbury, like I said, we're a smaller library so we have a much smaller staff so we're trying to balance between being very available for the patrons and fulfilling all these needs for the library sector currently. But we are in that weird gray zone of phasing back in that's not completely wide open but not completely shut.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:15:16] Thanks. Any COVID questions? I hope we'll be able to resume meeting in person sometime before the year is out. That's the standard, once we start doing that then requests will be for our programs to be that way too, so we set a precedent, so we have to be careful that once we do that we're ready to do that and especially children's programs, density capacity, people wearing masks, this all plays into it. Almost all of the libraries are still remote programming. Some are doing outside programming we don't really have outside space that's super conducive for that. Children's programs and things, we're surrounded by roads so if you're Cheryl running a program and you need to make sure that a child doesn't run out into the street while you're doing it, that makes it very difficult. And maintaining a six-foot spot. It's much easier in the building. Everyone's contained and you can be safely meeting so we can't do that currently but we're looking towards having on site programming. Hopefully, when it's safe to do so. Any questions? That's it for COVID-19. Okay thanks Ashleigh. Our last item, next and last item on the agenda is under new business and the American rescue plan grant which you are going to talk about Ashleigh.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:16:54] I am. So as part of the American rescue plan act with respect to the institute of museum and library services, grants are being distributed state by state to libraries. The Sherman library has been designated to receive \$15,458 and an ARPA grant money. So, the federal government handed it down state to state and the state decided where it will go and in March or April last year the state had an everybody learns initiative grant that was distributed and we did not receive it. It went to major cities like Hartford, Danbury. So, this go round the cities that didn't receive that are getting heavier grants in this department.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:17:42] When will that come in?

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:17:45] So, I'll get that. The funding is an extension of the carer's act as well as Governor Lamont's Everybody Learns Initiative, but it has restrictions, so the funding is to be used for designated three high priority spending categories. Ten small libraries to reach residents with internet hotspots, accessible Wi-Fi, other digital inclusion efforts, particularly in support of education, health, and workforce development needs, currently we are ahead of the game, we have fiber Wi-Fi and it's accessible in our parking lot which is fabulous, and we have SEPA in place so we're further than a lot of libraries. Some libraries are going to put their funds towards getting fiber.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:18:23] You can use it to provide rapid emergency relief through libraries across country allowing them to safely respond to the pandemic and implement public health protocols so easily cleaned items, furniture that's easily cleaned and to support library services that meet the needs of the community throughout the US including costs such as technology, training, supplies, materials, equipment, and associated indirect costs. So, it sounds very wide but it's actually fairly restricted. So, there are some things like I said possibly AV equipment for the meeting room if it expands patron's ability to come in and do online meetings or medical meetings via zoom or conferencing. It may incorporate some aspects of flexible space if it's some furniture objects that are easily cleaned and mobile, so this could branch across. It might even do wireless printing if it's something where we say people come in with their own device, they print it we don't have to touch anything, more hygienic, that's agreeable.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:19:31] So, I'm going to create a list of items that we need that fall into those categories and then I'll discuss those options with Mariya and possibly some teams to select those options and then I'll consult with Marie Burnyea from the Connecticut statewide right. Confirm that those requests fall into those spending categories and then I'll complete the grant request paperwork which needs to be submitted by June 30 and once we submit that, Marie looks it over, if it looks like it fits those three categories, that it's approved then they'll disperse those funds fairly quickly. So, it's there for the taking for us but we have to choose the items flush it out and prove that it fulfills those three high priority spending categories.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:20:25] Exciting. We'll find something.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:20:27] I've already begun some lists and things that fit into this category. Or these categories that also are things that we were heading towards wanting or needing to do vs just finding easy things to fill. And of course, it includes paper towels and hand sanitizer and plexi shields. [crosstalk 01:20:52]

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:20:52] That's not very exciting, right?

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:20:53] No but for us we needed that last march and that's when Governor Lamont's everybody learns initiative came out and the libraries that got that were able to purchase all those things. We just purchased them to open and to function. We've kind of been there and done that with most of that stuff. Any questions about the ARPA grant?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:21:20] That's great. Great news. That is all I have on the agenda so, I am going to make a motion adjourn. We could be out of here before 7:30. All in favor? All right.

Ashleigh Blake:

[01:21:40] Oh, just a reminder, when is our next meeting? Does anybody have the date?

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:21:44] It's June 14. [crosstalk 01:21:48]

John Ehrenreich:

[01:21:50] Flag day.

Mariya Hurwitz:

[01:21:51] All right I will see you all on flag day if not sooner.

Henry Cooperman:

[01:21:58] Good night.