

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay.

Barbara Ireland:

Got it.

Mariya Hurwitz:

All right. Good evening everyone. This is Mariya Hurwitz, president of The Sherman Library Board of Trustees. This is Monday, March 14th. It is our regular monthly meeting, held remotely due to health concerns surrounding COVID. And I would like to call the meeting to order at 6:34 PM. And then I will turn it over to Laura for the minutes.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Thank you Mariya. Thank you Ro and Irit for agreeing to review this evening's minutes. If there are no objections, I moved to approve the minutes from the February 15th meeting are by through unanimous consent.

Barbara Ireland:

I second.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Didn't need a second, but since we do, all in favor?

Irit Granger:

Aye.

Laura Jagodzinski:

So approved. Okay. Back to you Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

All right. Thank you. This is Mariya again. I'd like to make a motion that we move into executive session to discuss trustee vacancies, staffing, and fundraising strategy.

Laura Jagodzinski:

I'll second... [inaudible 00:01:22]

Mariya Hurwitz:

Thank you. So Jamie, if you would send us I will call you when we're ready for you to join us.

Jamie Cantoni:

Okay.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Thank you.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Good evening. This is Mariya Hurwitz, President of the Sherman Library Board of Trustees. We are just returning from executive session. It is 8:24 p.m. We will go to the report section of the agenda. Jamie, I will turn it over to you for the director's report.

Jamie Cantoni:

Sure. Did anybody have any questions on the ED report? No? There are two things that came up after I submitted my report that I just wanted to make everyone aware. I was having a conversation with one of the trustees the other day and they asked me what the process was for something they assumed was an extremely simple task. They said, "Wow, that is way more steps than I thought." I just wanted to ask everybody, because people not realize how important it is to properly name documents and submit them in the correct format and follow the appropriate, agreed-upon procedures when sending them to me if there are things, especially if I have to post them on the website, because that greatly increases the amount of work I have to do if I have to do it twice or if they're not already in the correct format. I just wanted to let you guys know, because I think maybe that's something you didn't know.

Jamie Cantoni:

The other thing is some really great news. I had a wonderful conversation with one of our largest donors the other day, who said that they're really grateful that we're being as conscientious and thoughtful and cautious in regards to COVID, both in our library operations and in our fundraising procedures, and that that has inspired them to continue to donate generously to the library and attend our upcoming fundraising events. I just thought that was just a really nice piece of feedback for everybody. That is all I had, if you guys want to move on?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Does anybody have their hands raised? Anybody have any questions for Jamie? No? Okay.

Dee Ratterree:

Should we now move to accept it?

Mariya Hurwitz:

I don't think we have to accept it.

Dee Ratterree:

Okay, good.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. Let's move on-

Dee Ratterree:

You're muted, Irit. You're muted, Irit.

Irit Granger:

Mariya, this is Irit. I just wanted to say that I'm very impressed with how fast Jamie has come along in embracing the vast responsibilities she has. I'm sure it took some time while running in place, but she seems to really be at a pace now that's very impressive, given how short a time you've had here, so very well done, Jamie.

Jamie Cantoni:

Thank you.

Irit Granger:

Keep up the good work.

Jamie Cantoni:

Thank you.

Mariya Hurwitz:

I completely agree. I know many people or probably everybody agrees. All right. Thanks, Irit. Okay, Laura, did you want to check in with people on your secretary ...

Laura Jagodzinski:

It's Laura Jagodzinski. I have nothing to add on the secretary's report. Does anybody have any questions? Okay, back to you, Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. Then, I'm going to pass it over to Henry. Henry, go ahead and do your treasurer, your investment, and your nominating. Then, I'm going to come back under treasurer's to make a motion.

Henry Cooperman:

Oh, I hope everybody got a chance to ... Hi, this is Henry Cooperman. Nominating Committee, there was nothing to report. The Investment Committee, there was no meeting during the month. I think everybody could see where we are. The good news was that we were only down 4% since the beginning of the year, while the SMP is down about 14%, so feel pretty good about that, and that the investment policy recommendations from our Investment Committee have done well. The treasurer's report is as stated on the Board of Trustees other reports regular meeting. Does anybody have any questions? Back to you, Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. All right, coming out of executive session, which we discussing staffing, I would like to just summarize what we discussed and then make a motion for a vote. The Board and the Executive Director of the library have identified the need for additional staff at the library. Over the past several years, the programming has tripled with high attendance and favorability from the community. The need for managing social media and advertising and the management of these programs places additional stress

on the staff. Additionally, with a building that is no longer new, our Executive Director spends a larger percentage of her time managing facilities issues and does not have capacity in her schedule to maintain all of the requirements of a robust catalog of programs.

Mariya Hurwitz:

We conducted extensive research on association libraries in our broader community and came to the conclusion that we are understaffed. Our library serves the largest population in this area with the fewest staff members. For this reason, we're recommending that the library pursue hiring a library specialist. Since our budget, as part of the town budget, will not be presented for vote until April 23rd, I would like to make a motion that we post for the position immediately, making note in the job posting that the position is pending library budget approval.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Posting for the job immediately is essential to manage the timeline of advertising for the position and interviewing potential candidates. It's our sincere hope that the town, the community support our budget and our identified need for this new staff position. If the budget is not approved by the town, the job posting will be pulled and the trustees will have to decide how to proceed with staffing and programming. I would like to make a motion that we post for this job immediately with the caveat that we advertising the position pending budget approval. Can I have a second?

Laura Jagodzinski:

I saw Lauren second.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay, thank you. All in favor?

Laura Jagodzinski:

All approved.

Mariya Hurwitz:

All approved. Thank you, everybody. Great. All right, let's go to committee reports. Oh, Henry already did investment, nominating. Fundraising.

Irit Granger:

I believe Lauren has an update on the golf event that she'd like to share with everyone.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Great.

Lauren Kenney:

Our date for the golf event is June 27th. My husband and I looked at a whole bunch of golf courses that we thought would be good. All of them charge more than the one we had it at last year. Last year, the price was ... The golf course last year charged \$195 per person. The one we chose this year charges \$250 per person, so we're going to be charging each player \$300 per person. No discount for a foursome, it's

just \$300 a person. It's called Whippoorwill Golf Club in Armonk, New York. It's really beautiful, I think should attract a lot of people. It's really nice private club that people haven't played, most people.

Lauren Kenney:

The save the date is ready to go out via email and newsletter, social media, whatever, everything. Hopefully, that will go out soon. We are waiting for the Neon, whatever it is, to be able to have something on the website so people can sign up and pay. I emailed everybody the save the date. Hopefully they can email it, tell all their friends that they know that play golf about it, spread the word. We need board members to solicit sponsorships. Last year, we required all the board members to sponsor one thing or a hole or whatever, so we'll do that again this year. To sponsor a hole is \$125 and there's 18 holes, so 18 available. We have a hole-in-one contest that can be sponsored for \$300, a putting contest for \$300, and we have lots of different prizes that can be given out, depending on what people want to spend to sponsor prizes, which they can get their company logo on and then it would be given out to everyone who's playing. If everybody could just try to get some sponsors, like Webster Bank, any local businesses, friends, whatever, that would be helpful.

Irit Granger:

Lauren?

Lauren Kenney:

Yeah?

Irit Granger:

I'll approach Henry at The Old Oak. He sponsored two holes, I believe, last year.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay, great. Thank you.

Irit Granger:

I will sponsor the putting contest again this year.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay.

Barbara Ireland:

I'll go to Webster Bank. I asked them last year and they worked with Ashley on getting the sponsorship. I'll be happy to use the original letter we used last year and take it to them.

Lauren Kenney:

I don't remember what they ... Did they just sponsor a hole last year?

Barbara Ireland:

Yes, they did.

Lauren Kenney:

Maybe you can convince them to sponsor something more than that this time.

Irit Granger:

Two holes.

Lauren Kenney:

If you can.

Jeff Matusow:

Lauren, I forwarded your email around to a bunch of friends and got responses back, "I'm in. I want to do it." What's my message to them? It's, "Wait until some date and you'll go to the website and sign up"?

Lauren Kenney:

Yeah. It's just we're waiting for this new payment system that they're working on.

Jeff Matusow:

And then they'll be able to go to the library website and [crosstalk 00:11:11]-

Lauren Kenney:

Right, or they could ... I mean, we're going to try to encourage people to not pay by that, because there's a few with the Square. If they want to sign up, they can just give you a check or drop off a check at the library, \$300.

Jeff Matusow:

They're still going to have to go to the website, put in their name, or is that-

Lauren Kenney:

No.

Jeff Matusow:

No?

Lauren Kenney:

They can just give it to you or whoever at the library.

Jeff Matusow:

All you need is just I can get a check in this person's name and-

Lauren Kenney:

Right.

Irit Granger:

I think Jamie has an issue with that.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay.

Irit Granger:

Jamie? Oops, you're on mute, Jamie.

Jamie Cantoni:

It's got to be a tiny little bit more organized than that, because I've got to keep track of who the players are, and if one person plays for a foursome, who's included in their group and who isn't. I have an hour-long meeting. As you can tell from my report, I've done 38 and a half hours of training in Neon and I have a hour-long call tomorrow and this is exactly what we're focusing on, because this is a very big priority for myself and all of you and all of our joint efforts. I will hopefully have, and I know it's very frustrating, I'm sorry, but more information for everyone surrounding this as soon as possible and really get the ball rolling on the soiree and the golf event.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Jamie, we're trying to have tickets available for April 1st for the soiree. Are you trying to have the golf at the same time, a week later?

Jamie Cantoni:

That is not a conversation I've had with you and Lauren yet.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Okay.

Jamie Cantoni:

It is a conversation that I want to have with both of you, because I know golfers like to get their social calendar squared as early on in the season as possible, but I also don't think they're competing events, but I also want to be very thoughtful of each of our fundraising chairs and that no one feels that they're not getting as much as attention or that they're not getting as much publicity. I'm just trying to be thoughtful of you guys.

Lauren Kenney:

I mean, the earlier people can sign up, the better, because then other golf events do come up. I guess they only sign up for a certain amount, so if we can get them before.

Jamie Cantoni:

Right, and I know golfers like to sign up early on. I just want to manage everybody's desires and feelings and also help us raise as much money as we can, because we certainly need it.

Jeff Matusow:

Lauren, is there a rain date?

Lauren Kenney:

No.

Jeff Matusow:

No?

Lauren Kenney:

Barbara, Al just said he would approach Webster Bank, because he wants to ask them for way more than just the whole sponsor.

Barbara Ireland:

Okay.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay? You can get another sponsor.

Barbara Ireland:

Love it. Let me remind you that, I don't know if Jamie knows the answer to this yet, they did something else for us last year, other than sponsor for the golf tournament. We don't want to jeopardize if they give money in some other fashion, so you may want to look up that letter. I don't know if Ashley would remember what it was that they did for us that was-

Lauren Kenney:

Yeah, I don't remember.

Barbara Ireland:

It was more money.

Mariya Hurwitz:

It was money, though, because it would be in QuickBooks. I would think it would be in there.

Lauren Kenney:

All right. Let me know what that was.

Barbara Ireland:

Okay.

Irit Granger:

Can I just ask? What Jeff said, he said input from some of his friends, they want to sign up, and we can't do it at the library yet. Can Jeff just take their names and say, "Yes, you'll definitely be on the list. I'm going to take your names and your contact info and we will contact you for payment as soon as the

library's up and running," and then pass the names on to Lauren, so that one person has them before the library has them?

Jamie Cantoni:

Yeah. No. This is Jamie. It's actually better if Jeff just puts them directly in contact with me and I'll get the information I need and they can just send a check or whatever so that-

Irit Granger:

Oh, I was just trying to save-

Jamie Cantoni:

... I can manage all that registration information and [crosstalk 00:15:36]-

Irit Granger:

Okay. I was just trying to save you, Jamie, from having drips and drafts come through.

Jeff Matusow:

Right. Back to the rain date, if it's rained out, just that's it? Would people expect their money or you say you're donating it?

Lauren Kenney:

We went through that last year. Golf tournaments rarely get rained out, unless there's a major storm. If there is, they just do it another day. They give us a rain date. They don't decide that ahead, because it rarely happens.

Jamie Cantoni:

Right.

Lauren Kenney:

Oh, another thing I wanted to add is, the way we make the most money, is at the end of the golf tournament, we auction off donations of, normally foursomes, from other golf clubs. If anyone has contact in any other golf club, maybe, Jamie, you can get your golf club to donate a foursome.

Jamie Cantoni:

I'll certainly ask.

Lauren Kenney:

Thank you. Anyone who knows members at different golf clubs, that would be really helpful, because we just get a donation and we get a lot of money for those foursomes and it costs them nothing to give it to us. Ro?

Ro D'Ostilio:

Can you tell me the date, again? I'm sorry, I have it, but for some reason-

Lauren Kenney:

June 27th.

Ro D'Ostilio:

That's what I thought. Okay. Just to throw this out there, that we might want to think about, because the Duck Fest looks for sponsors, as well. Around that time, we'll be canvassing for sponsors. That would probably be something to talk more strategic about with you, me, and Irit at some point.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay. Good idea.

Mariya Hurwitz:

This is Mariya. Ro, you have-

Ro D'Ostilio:

Oh, I'm sorry. This is Ro. Did I say that?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Ro, as part of the documentation, do you have the sponsors from previous Duck Fests as a starting point?

Ro D'Ostilio:

Yes.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. You guys can compare lists.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

I have them all in my dining room.

Mariya Hurwitz:

All the sponsors are in your dining room, right there?

Caitlin Mandracchia:

This is Caitlin.

Jamie Cantoni:

I knew your baking's good, but it's that good?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. Anything else, Lauren, to update on?

Lauren Kenney:

No, I think that's it.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Anything else fundraising, Irit? You have to come off mute first.

Irit Granger:

Laura, did you have more on the soiree that you wanted to discuss?

Laura Jagodzinski:

Yes. I just wanted to remind folks to spread the word, the save the date went out in the newsletter on March 1st, and to also remind folks that we're taking donations at the library until May 11th. We held the press release, which was going to go out March 1st, based on some feedback which will cover the COVID discussion. The tickets, we're targeting to be available April 1st and we'll have the graphic for ticket sales to start go out that first week in April. That's all I have.

Mariya Hurwitz:

I would just say no big pressure, this is Mariya, just a little bit of pressure, I went through my jewelry box and purse collection, making donations. If anybody else feels so inclined ...

Laura Jagodzinski:

Yeah.

Irit Granger:

Ro, did you want to talk about the Duck Fest at all or Caitlin?

Ro D'Ostilio:

This is Ro. We basically stated everything in the notes, so nothing's really changed.

Irit Granger:

Okay. That's it for fundraising, I think, Mariya.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Thank you, Irit. John, do you have anything to add to your programming update? Is John-

Jeff Matusow:

He left.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Oh, John left? John's gone, okay. Oh, I see his note now. Okay. Did anybody have anything to say about programming? Okay.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

Sign-ups to John's program.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Jamie, anything you'd like to add to your HVAC update?

Jamie Cantoni:

I submitted ... There was a question. We had our HVAC issue, where the electrical board to the compressor failed. Luke [Chaps 00:20:24], our HVAC technician, submitted estimates for just the electrical board replacement and for the entire unit replacement. I specified in my ED report the considerations that were included in those estimates and those that were omitted. We did reach out to Dave Adams to have him come give a second opinion, but we did not hear back from him, so we have not yet arrived at a decision. I am very concerned about relying on this workaround long term. It's not meant for us to be relying on it long term. We did have a brown out at the library last week, which was very alarming for me. My first thought was, "Oh, no, what about the HVAC?" I would like to try and get this resolved as quickly as possible. I do realize that the board would like a second opinion, but that's all I have to say about that.

Mariya Hurwitz:

When you do get a second opinion, we'll continue the ... This is Mariya, sorry. We'll continue the conversation, Jamie.

Jamie Cantoni:

Yeah. Hopefully that will be much sooner than later.

Mariya Hurwitz:

I do have one person. I don't want to state his name on the record, but I do know somebody very well who's an HVAC specialist in Westchester County, but lives in New Milford. I will be seeing him this weekend and see if there's anything he can-

Jamie Cantoni:

Okay, great.

Ro D'Ostilio:

This is Ro. I just talked to Dave. I was away. I've been away for a while, for 12 days or something. He said he'll contact you. I'll make sure he contacts you tomorrow and tries to set something up this week.

Jamie Cantoni:

Okay, great. Thank you so much.

Ro D'Ostilio:

Sorry about that rule.

Jamie Cantoni:

That's okay.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. Any other comments on HVAC before we move on? This is Mariya, again. All right, under new business, we have strategic plan, which I'll be talking to this. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this. I want to confirm that Barb did receive back all the skillset surveys with an exception of one, so thank you everybody that turned those in. Just a handful of things I want to talk about regarding the strategic plan. Thank you to the team leads for submitting those updates. Huge thank you to Laura for consolidating them and putting them in that spreadsheet tracker.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Couple of things I want to call out. One of the first things I noticed was the strat team, the sizes for the strat team. I personally think that two to three members is an ideal size. There were a couple of them that had four or five members. For a couple of reasons, I think we should try to trim it down. One, I just think it's harder to coordinate with more than three people, and also we're just ... If we have that many people on one committee, that's fewer people that would be willing to take work on another team.

Mariya Hurwitz:

I think if we can trim it down to two or three, I would ask that the team leads, I know I asked you to confirm with your people and it seems like everybody said, "Yes, I still want to be on the team," but if you could circle back with the people on your group. If you have more than three, circle back and just see if anybody is happy to step back and make themselves available for ... We have people that are going to be leaving the board. We're going to have need for people to be on other strategic teams.

Mariya Hurwitz:

The strategic teams don't own the execution of the objectives of the strategy, they are just the ... I would call them the managers or the delegators. You own reporting on the results. You might have to recruit people to do something, but just because you're on the fundraising strat team, doesn't mean you own the execution of all fundraising. It's definitely not how it works. I would recommend you trim those teams and then you can report back to Laura and me who your members are. If anybody disagrees, please let me know, but I think it makes sense.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. Let's see. Oh, John's not here, but Laura and I were both talking about the collaboration engagement and programming team, that we could probably just trim that name down to the programming team. If nobody objections, we're just going to make that change to programming. Laura took all of your updates. She summarized them. They're in the board package. What I would like to do is get on a schedule. This happens to be March, so that's perfect in terms of quarterly. Let's do quarterly updates on the strategic plan. We'll do another one in June and then just continue every three months forward. We're going to use the format ... Oh, I hope I have it open here. Yes. We're going to use the format that Laura had originally created. I'm just going to share my screen really quick. Oh, can you enable screen sharing, Jamie, for me?

Jamie Cantoni:

Hold on. Let's see. There you go, that should work.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Yep, perfect. Thanks. You'll-

Dee Ratterree:

Can you just email that to everybody?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Sorry?

Dee Ratterree:

I was going to say, can you just email that to everybody?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Oh, yeah. We definitely will. I will send these out. Actually, I probably did when I asked each of you to do your updates. You'll recognize this form, for those of you that are team leads. This is the one that will just continue to update. What Laura's going to do is take all the notes that everybody gave her, from the team leads gave her, and she's going to update. Down under here, where it says, "Projects for July through June 20, '22," for each of the objectives, you'll see, and hopefully this is big enough, you'll see there's just, "Update, March 20, '22." This is her technology one, Laura's technology one.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Just every single quarter, if you have an update, you'll just replace these words with your current update against the objective. Objective number one, you'll give an update, objective number two, you'll give an update, et cetera. We'll send this back out to you once Laura's populated it with your notes for today. Then, what I'd like to do, since we had already ... For almost all of the teams, we had listed out the projects for next fiscal year, July through June. In May, let's come as a board and discuss them and make sure everybody's still good with all of the objectives. You don't have to do any of this for the April. We'll come back in in May and discuss your 2022, 2023 objectives, which will be listed on your form when it gets sent to you. Questions? Okay. All right, let's see. That's it. That's all I had. Laura, I know you and I talked about this today. Did I leave out anything that you thought I was going to mention?

Laura Jagodzinski:

No. I just wanted to open it up and see if anybody had any questions on the updates from the other teams, other than their own?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Yeah. I forgot to say, thank you. It looked like there was really a lot of great progress and a lot of things accomplished and on target for June, so that was really nice to see.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Okay.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Let's just try to wrap this up. Laura, liquor liability memo update and then ... Okay, go ahead.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Sure. In the report I just gave a brief update on, we've had some additional information that's come to light, so we're updating liquor liability memo. I'll review that with our insurance agent and have an update for us before our next meeting. Just are there any questions on that? Okay.

Mariya Hurwitz:

All right. Thank you, Laura. Thank you.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Mariya, Barb has a little bit of technology issues, so she stepped away. I was going to suggest-

Mariya Hurwitz:

She's back.

Henry Cooperman:

She's back.

Laura Jagodzinski:

She's back? Okay, good.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Yesiree.

Irit Granger:

This is Irit. I have to leave shortly, so if there's any vote that you need to make at all-

Mariya Hurwitz:

No, no votes. I think we'll be done, I'm hoping, in about five minutes.

Irit Granger:

Okay, perfect. Okay.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. No questions on the liquor liability. COVID update, Jamie, do you have anything to add to what you reported?

Jamie Cantoni:

Nope. I think Laura's summary covers everything that has gone on recently in relation to that, unless anybody has any questions?

Mariya Hurwitz:

Does anybody else have anything?

Henry Cooperman:

When are you going to make a decision about April?

Laura Jagodzinski:

What about April?

Henry Cooperman:

Are we keeping it the way it is in April, also?

Jamie Cantoni:

When the COVID Committee last met, they decided they were going to set a meeting for mid-March to discuss particulars relating to the soiree. Then, at that time, determine a meeting either at the end of March or beginning of April to review our currently monthly consideration for COVID protocol and evaluate where we are and what's going on and make some decisions for April.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Henry, you're talking about the masking requirement for the library?

Henry Cooperman:

Yes.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Yeah. As Jamie said, we'll try and get to that by the end of the month, so that we have a position for April.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Did anybody else have any other comments, anything to talk about regarding COVID?

Laura Jagodzinski:

It's Laura. I think we need to just bring up the question on the soiree and requiring proof of vaccination to attend the soiree. I provided input in the report. Just quickly, there was a complaint. Someone called in to the library, questioning the legality of requiring vaccine status and requiring proof of vaccination. I did reach out to our attorneys, who said that what we're doing is not illegal. Based on that, we went out and we continued with our ... We re-released our press release and have put the information back on the website.

Henry Cooperman:

Hi, this is Henry. My biggest concern is, especially with Duck Fest coming up and getting the support of the community to bring their kids and feeling comfortable supporting the library, I just wanted to hear from Ro and Caitlin and maybe get their thoughts, if they have concerns. You're muted.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

This is Caitlin. If I was to take my personal feelings out of this, I think that we should require what other town buildings are requiring and it's not very much. I feel like people feel that they are being, quote, unquote, "discriminated against" or left out because of a personal decision. I'm sorry, my kids are going

to bed and it's loud. I do worry about ostracizing a part of our community when we seem to be the only place in town that's requiring this level of proof of vaccination and all that kind of stuff.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Caitlin, we're actually ... The Sherman Playhouse is still requiring vaccinations, proof of vaccines. We looked at this. We had input from several patrons who were very supportive and certainly concerned about attending an indoor event. With the Duck Fest, I believe the Duck Fest is outdoors, and so I think there's a difference between an indoor event and an outdoor event. The group was looking at how to protect our patrons and those people who are coming into the building to have a safe and comfortable environment. We are meeting this week to define what we mean by proof of vaccines, right? What do we mean by vaccination? Is a negative acceptable if somebody isn't vaccinated? We're looking at all of those things and fully fleshing those out. The plan is to have all of those things fleshed out and posted on the website before we start selling tickets. Yes, Jamie?

Jamie Cantoni:

To my earlier point about wordsmithing, I was very adamant that after proof of vaccination required, we add a clause that says, comma, "applicable protocol will be followed," which gives us the flexibility to not have to make a decision until the time of the event of perhaps checking vaccination status is no longer applicable, so we're no longer going to do that. Perhaps this, that or the other thing isn't necessary, so we have that out for ourselves. Maybe there's some crazy surge and we have to do something, but we have that in there. We are being thoughtful.

Jamie Cantoni:

Also, Duck Fest is in September. None of us know what September's going to be like. The soiree is our first foray back into in-person fundraising. Our major donors have been very clear that they would like a cautious approach. I know that we do run the risk of some people feeling alienated. I'd ultimately not like to alienate anybody, but at the end of the day, the cost/benefit analysis of alienating someone who gives you \$20 a year versus somebody who gives you \$5,000 a year, I mean, we just have to be realistic.

Henry Cooperman:

You're saying, if you have a lot of money, you could buy the library?

Jamie Cantoni:

No.

Henry Cooperman:

Well, that's what you just said.

Jamie Cantoni:

Henry, no.

Henry Cooperman:

No. Well, that's what she just said. She said the person who gives \$5,000 has more say than somebody else. Yet, I give a fair amount of money, I wasn't polled. I wasn't sure if everybody on this board was polled.

Jamie Cantoni:

Henry, you can't go to the women's soiree.

Laura Jagodzinski:

We did discuss this at the last board meeting, all right?

Henry Cooperman:

Laura, my concern is alienating a group of people and alienating the town. If that's what you want to do, that's fine.

Mariya Hurwitz:

No. This is Mariya.

Laura Jagodzinski:

Henry, that is not what any of us want to do. We're concerned about our constituents. I was responding to you saying that, did we poll you, right? I'm saying, we didn't poll. We did not call each person, but we did discuss it at the last board meeting. I was only responding to that one point.

Henry Cooperman:

I understand that, but Jamie mentioned somebody who gives \$5,000 a year, saying they want to have masks or they don't feel comfortable.

Jamie Cantoni:

No. They were talking about the women's soiree, Henry.

Henry Cooperman:

What happens if you have a woman who wanted to go to the soiree, but is allergic to what's in the vaccine and can't be vaccinated?

Laura Jagodzinski:

Well, then, Henry, you read the-

Jamie Cantoni:

That's what we're discussing in our upcoming meeting, Henry, which is what was previously said. We are meeting-

Henry Cooperman:

That's not the message that-

Jamie Cantoni:

... to discuss what if someone, for some reason, can't or won't get a vaccine. What are we going to do? What are our requirements going to be? These decisions haven't been made yet, Henry, but they are being considered, okay?

Laura Jagodzinski:

I would also like to add that, in many, many venues where it says, "Proof of vaccine required," it is further defined as to what that means. It's defined with one dose, two dose, boosters, and if you're not able to be vaccinated, what is the alternative for an unvaccinated person. All of those things are being discussed and documented and they'll be posted on the website, so that people have the opportunity to ask questions and get additional information, right? I think ... I'm sorry. Go ahead, Barb.

Barbara Ireland:

No, no. I thought you were done.

Laura Jagodzinski:

For example, right, proof of vaccines, if you look at many websites, proof of vaccines allows, if you're not able to get vaccinated, to have a negative test, have a negative test within whatever the appropriate time frame is. That's what we're looking at, Henry.

Henry Cooperman:

I have no doubt about that, but it was the way it was publicized to the community.

Laura Jagodzinski:

It was publicized by saying "Proof of vaccine required," right?

Henry Cooperman:

Right, and that's all it said.

Laura Jagodzinski:

"Protocols will be followed," and it says, "For more information," to contact Jamie or call.

Henry Cooperman:

Okay. Listen, I don't want to get-

Laura Jagodzinski:

If you want more information-

Henry Cooperman:

... beat up about this, but I just ... I feel like I was attacked and I really don't appreciate it. I'm going to sign off, actually. Thank you.

Barbara Ireland:

Can I just say something before you do, Henry? I think part of the issue for the library is we are a small town and we recognize that we are. These decisions are very difficult to come to. I think, unfortunately, the library has had to make a decision on how to put a hold the date notice, which is what was essentially put out there. We put out that notice and we did put in those caveats, because we are working in an evolving situation. We don't know what COVID's going to be like in May, we don't know what it's going to be like in September. It changes, it seems like, every day and every week.

Barbara Ireland:

I think part of the thinking was that this was the first time we were going to have a lot of people in the building. We have been open with small groups of people in the building, but not 125 or 150 people, like we've had for soirees in the past. I think there was some concern initially that we had to think about where we were today. Where we were today was that there are people in vulnerable populations. There are people who can't have the shot for a number of reasons, so I think the thinking on this is evolving.

Barbara Ireland:

As we get closer to the soiree, we hope to be able to put out there what the latest thinking is and how we can keep people safe. When you have that many people in the building for the first time, it is the first time we will have had that large a group inside the building, and so I think that was the concern, initially. I don't think anybody wants to leave anyone out or wants to discriminate against anybody. I think the original thinking was, "How do we keep people the safest when we come down to the fact that we are dealing with this many people?" By May, it may be a total different story on how we keep people safely.

Mariya Hurwitz:

This is Mariya. I think it's easier to start more controlled and restrictive and back away from that than do it the other way.

Barbara Ireland:

I agree.

Mariya Hurwitz:

I think it's [crosstalk 00:43:31]. I know, Irit, I saw you raising your hand. Go ahead.

Irit Granger:

Oh, I merely wanted to state the opposite, which is that, yes, we may risk alienating some people, and that would be very unfortunate, but conversely, we also risk alienating people that won't feel safe to come if we don't have some sort of protocol in place, depending of course, like what Barb said, that it would be appropriate to have a protocol in place by then. I think the library's just trying to take a cautious approach and to accommodate the most number of people. I don't think it has anything to do with who contributed what. It's just a matter of common sense. Caitlin?

Mariya Hurwitz:

I agree.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

This is Caitlin. I think the thing that we maybe could've done with the save the date, especially if we are waiting until May to make the final decision, would be taking out the vaccine wordage, because we don't know, and saying "appropriate protocols will be followed at the time." That still gives us leeway, that if we do need to require them if cases go up or whatever, then we can and be like, "Oh, well, we said it on our invitation. We're following protocol." Then, if protocol changes and it seems very silly to require, then we don't have to, either. It takes that real big trigger word of vaccination out of it entirely, but still gives us leeway either way to decide in May.

Barbara Ireland:

Could I ask a question of both Ro and Caitlin? I think you've been exposed to some of the comments that have been made. Do you think it makes a difference to people that are not vaccinated if we said, at some point, and I'm not saying that we're going to say this, but if we said at some point that, if you're unvaccinated and you have a negative test within the last 72 hours, you still can participate, you think that makes a difference?

Caitlin Mandracchia:

I'm not sure, because I feel, in their mind, so many vaccinated people have had COVID, I'm one of them, that I feel like ... I don't know. I don't know what goes through people's minds with their opinions about COVID. None of us are medical professionals, so we're all just trying our best. I don't know. I don't know if they'll be happy at all if there's any sort of COVID restriction at all.

Barbara Ireland:

I mean, I noticed what the Playhouse wording was. The Playhouse wording did make room for people who were not vaccinated, that they had to have a negative test. I believe that's how it went.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

I think the other thing, this is Caitlin again, is that one thing that people had mentioned, this was on social media that I had seen, the Sherman Playhouse doesn't get funding from the town and we do. They felt that that was a difference, because they're a private entity and we are-

Jamie Cantoni:

Well, they do ... We are not a municipal library.

Mariya Hurwitz:

This is Mariya. This is an event that we're charging tickets for. We're not requiring vaccines to walk in our front door. This is for an event that's got a length of time to it, where we're all going to be in a space and there's food and drink. It's very different than coming in and checking out a book, which is [crosstalk 00:47:34]-

Caitlin Mandracchia:

No, I'm just stating what people had said.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Yep. I just want to put on the record that that's where our thinking is.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

Right.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Irit?

Irit Granger:

Hi. This is a minor comment, but just to Caitlin's point, actually, the Playhouse does get support from the town, not monetary support, but they pay I think a dollar a year in rent for that building and the building's maintained by the town. Anybody that thinks that the Playhouse is not town-supported is ill-informed.

Ro D'Ostilio:

I like what Caitlin said about keeping the wording very vague, as far as wordsmithing. I do like wordsmithing, as well. I do think that that's saying what's appropriate at the time, because it is changing so quickly. I think that any reasonable person would understand that things are changing and that's what we're going to follow. I would be interested to know what's happening in the town. I haven't been to a town meeting recently, but I know that they put a lot of people in that small room sometimes for the selectmen meetings and I don't know if everyone's wearing their masks anymore. I know they don't require proof of vaccination to go in there. To me, that would be-

Henry Cooperman:

Masks are optional.

Ro D'Ostilio:

Okay. That would be who I would look to for guidance on what we would want to be following procedure-wise. This way, people can't say to us, "We're going against the town. You're paid by the town. You get funding from the town." We're following what they're doing. If we vary from that, then it does look like we are catering to a group of people. That is, I think-

Irit Granger:

What group of people would we be catering to?

Ro D'Ostilio:

If we are saying we are requiring vaccines to make our patrons feel comfortable, but the town is not requiring proof of vaccines to go into their meetings, then who are we catering to? The town is our clientele.

Irit Granger:

Yeah, but the event is very different from a town meeting to 150 people in a library space eating and drinking. I think that this could all be a moot point. Let's hope it is. Let's hope COVID is gone.

Ro D'Ostilio:

Right. I agree.

Irit Granger:

Maybe some wording could be added that makes it more clear that COVID protocol will be a changing ... Will depend on either CDC guidelines or herd immunity or whatever, but some caveat to say that we'll be abiding by whatever health standards is recommended by health professionals.

Ro D'Ostilio:

Right.

Barbara Ireland:

It's Barbara, again. I would hope that you can make clear to some of the people that have been upset by this that our guiding principle behind all of this was to save you from people that were attending. The guiding principle was the number of people attending for the length of time in a small space. The library doesn't have huge spaces, either. That was what-

Irit Granger:

When you're eating and drinking, you're up close and personal.

Barbara Ireland:

I mean, you can't wear a mask. It isn't made that way. It is usually about three hours long. I think that that's what we were looking at and that was what we were looking at today, where we are today. It is evolving. I think our concern will continue to be the safety of people, number one, and number two, the number of people, the length of the event, and how we can keep people the safest and be fair.

Irit Granger:

This is Irit. As you said earlier, Barb, it's the first big event of any organization.

Barbara Ireland:

It is. I think it's very daunting to go from, what, 35 people is the most I think we've had in a library in two years or more, to 150? We have to think about that.

Irit Granger:

I've got to run, everybody. I'm sorry, I got to [crosstalk 00:52:39]-

Mariya Hurwitz:

Thank you, Irit.

Irit Granger:

... excuse myself. Thank you very much.

Barbara Ireland:

Thank you.

Irit Granger:

Bye-bye.

Barbara Ireland:

Bye.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Is there anything anybody else wants to state regarding COVID? Again, there is a meeting ... This is Mariya, apologies. There is a meeting tomorrow. We'll expect a report on any decisions made coming out of that meeting. Okay. We have one more item on the agenda. Lauren, are you still there?

Caitlin Mandracchia:

No, she's not.

Barbara Ireland:

Lauren is muted.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Lauren is muted. Oh, there she is.

Lauren Kenney:

Yeah, I'm here.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Hi, Lauren. You're the last item on the agenda, your e-newsletter frequency, I wanted to bring up. The floor is yours.

Lauren Kenney:

I feel like, me personally, I don't know who else would agree, but there's too many emails coming about reminding about programs or just I feel like a lot of them are about children's programs, which is probably why. Just a bit much, especially people who don't care about the children's programs. Jamie?

Jamie Cantoni:

Yeah. That was something I noticed, as well, Lauren. There's a Sherman Library master list for the e-newsletters and then there's a Sherman Library kids list. Charlotte was feeling like she was only reaching the folks who already participated in programs and she wanted to reach more. She started sending out e-newsletters to the Sherman Library master list without saying anything to me. I caught that and I said, "Charlotte, you can't do that. Not everybody who wants to know what's going on wants to know what's going on with kids." I feel the same way. If my library started sending me all sorts of stuff about kids, I wouldn't care and I would probably unsubscribe. Yeah, that's something I noticed, as well, and something I am addressing. I'm also working on several other types of reminders with folks who go to regular programming, because it takes up a lot of time and I think it's not efficiently spent. Yeah, I'm glad you noticed that and I did, too. I'm working on fixing it. Thank you.

Lauren Kenney:

This is Lauren. Also, maybe we can ... Instead of unsubscribing, some websites will ask, "How frequently would you like to receive these type of emails?" instead of someone just blanketing unsubscribe.

Jamie Cantoni:

We'll have to see about that. I don't particularly don't like VerticalResponse. It has a lot of limitations, but we use VerticalResponse because it's free to us as a nonprofit. I'll have to see if that is a feature that

they have for nonprofits. Yeah, it's definitely something that, when I get out of the fire storm that has been everything, that is on my radar and I will [crosstalk 00:56:09]-

Lauren Kenney:

Okay.

Jamie Cantoni:

Yes. Thank you.

Lauren Kenney:

Okay. Thank you.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Okay. That is the end of our agenda. Anything else anybody wants to bring up or is everybody ready to call it a night? All right. Great discussion tonight, everybody. Thank you. I'd like to make a motion that we adjourn the meeting. It is 9:21 p.m.

Lauren Kenney:

I second it.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Lauren, second. Okay.

Barbara Ireland:

Good night, all.

Mariya Hurwitz:

Thank you, everybody. Good night.

Lauren Kenney:

Good night.

Caitlin Mandracchia:

Thank you.